Twins' new Target Field concessions: Top 5
Good news about the new Target Field's concessions: They've really stepped up to the plate. Hungry fans will no longer have to settle for plastic-cheese-topped nachos and those ice cream cups with the little wooden paddles.
Hot dogs and baseball fans go together like chewing tobacco and baseball players, right? The Hormel Dome Dog's replacement, Schweigert's Big Dog, is just what a hot dog should be: juicy, salty, and flavor-packed. The bun's a little thick and the name's a little lame--perhaps they'll consider Target Tubesteak?--but it's a solid execution for what it is...it's just that what it is is a little boring compared to your other options. Here are my top picks from among the items I sampled last week:
5. Asian Wok Stir Fry What is Chinese food doing at a baseball stadium? Who cares. The Asian Wok stir fry comes in a cute little takeout container: taut, pliable noodles and fresh vegetables--carrots, peppers, bok choy!--in a pungent, slightly spicy sauce.
4. The Vincent Burger The one I sampled wasn't quite as good as those at Vincent's restaurant, but a burger stuffed with smoked gouda and braised short-rib meat and tucked into a pillowy egg bun is a major improvement on the typical institutional-grade frozen patty.
3. Kramarczuk's Sausages Brats, Polish sausages, Hungarian sausages, all grilled to order have more attitude than the hot dog but aren't as spendy as the sandwiches.
2. Tony O's Cuban Legendary Twin Tony Oliva wouldn't have put his name on it if it wasn't good--and it is. Cuban bread is stuffed with roasted pork, Swiss cheese, and pickles, then warmed/toasted in a press to make a hot, melty mess.
1. Murray's Steak Sandwich Tender sirloin nuggets in ballgame-friendly form. When the meat is paired with grilled onions and provolone and stuffed into a ciabatta bun, you can enjoy your steak without having to take your eyes off the field.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Minneapolis & St. Paul dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.