Top 5: Most memorable food/drink commercials of the decade
It was a tough fight, what with all those Coke and Pepsi, Budweiser and Bud Light, Quizno's and Subway ads to contend with. Let's just say there are more than a handful of memorable food and drink ads from the last decade. Super Bowl ads alone could make up a laundry list of them. If it weren't for the 2000s we wouldn't have Jared the Subway guy, those weird Quizno's rat things and countless sexually suggestive fast food ads featuring countless starlets of the moment. Here's our reluctant Top 5:
1. No list of ads would be complete without a Super Bowl ad. (Furthermore, if we may, none would be complete without Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg - squeal!). This year, Pepsi's saying "Hasta la vista" to the Super Bowl, so we thought we'd top the list with one of the soft drink giant's more memorable Super Bowl ads from the last decade. Bonus points for gratuitous crotch humor.
2. The Quizno's "rats" are a slam dunk for most memorable. The meet all the criteria: a) incomprehensible, b) gross, and c) fascinating. The Quizno's "Put it in me" ads, on the other hand, didn't quite make the cut. They were comprehensible as hell.
3. The 2000s wouldn't have been the 2000s without Chik-fil-A's "Eat Mor Chikin" campaign. Remember all those billboards with cows and their misspelled graffiti? Here's a good, recent one.
4. Holy old school! Is this really from 2001? Mr. T, (Mr. T!!!) Loni Anderson and Mary Lou Retton team up as a freaky family to shill for Lipton's even freakier "Sizzle and Stir" meals.
5. Technically, the Budweiser "Wasssup?" ads started running in the late 1990s but they went on into the 2000s, and their annoying memorability extends to the present day. Who doesn't have a dorky uncles still trying to pull this one now and then when he calls, after all. Bet you forgot how funny it actually is. Almost guaranteed to make you laugh.
Ok, Hot Dishers, your turn. What millions of others did we miss? What about those weird Evian breakdancing baby ads? Or all those Carl's Jr. ads with Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian and whoever. There were also some good Chester Cheetah ones for sure.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Minneapolis & St. Paul dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.