Summit Unchained #10 launches this week
New Belgian brew from Summit.
Summit Brewing Company's Unchained Series reached a milestone today with the release of its 10th beer, Belgian Style Abbey Ale. This tasty Belgian Dubbel is the creation of brewer Nate Siats, who was also responsible for the fifth beer in the series, Imperial Pumpkin Porter. Belgian Style Abbey Ale is the first Unchained beer to be tested on the brewery's new 1.7-barrel pilot system prior to full-scale production. The draft launch will be feted this week with a series of events at venues throughout the metro.
Belgian Style Abbey Ale pours a deep mahogany color with a creamy cap of ivory foam. The flavor highlights bread-crust and caramel malt flavors with overtones of dark fruits like raisins and dates. It's deceptively easy to drink. Don't let that fool you. If you're not paying attention, the 8% alcohol will hit you hard and fast.
For those interested in the nitty-gritty details, here are the stats released by the brewery.
Original Gravity: 18° Plato Alcohol by Volume: 8.0% Color: Rich Mahogany Bittering Units: 33 Malts Utilized: Weyermann® Pilsner, Weyermann® Abbey and Weyermann® Melanoidin Hops Utilized: German Tettnang and Czech Saaz Yeast: Belgian Trappist Ale strain Kettle Additions: Belgian Amber Candi Sugar
You can sample the brew and chat with the brewer at the following events:
- Monday, July 23: Catch a MN Mondays DJ set at Grumpy's NE in Minneapolis and enjoy a half-price Abbey Ale from 5 to 9 p.m..
- Thursday, July 26: Unchained #10 Release Party at the Old Saloon in New Richmond, Wisconsin, from 6 to 9 p.m..
- Friday, July 27: A cask-conditioned pint at Grumpy's in Roseville. The firkin will be tapped at 4 p.m.
- Friday, July 27: Bocce with the brewer at Village Pub in St. Anthony from 6 to 8 p.m., with a chance to win prizes. At the 331 Club in Minneapolis, a special cask version will be tapped at 9 p.m.
- Friday, August 3: Cask Ale Night at Blue Nile, tapping at 6 p.m.
Cheers, Michael Agnew Certified Cicerone A Perfect Pint
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Minneapolis & St. Paul dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.