Renaissance Festival to host historic cooking demonstrations
Put down that lance and pick up a spoon!
Minnesota Renaissance Festival
The Minnesota Renaissance Festival begins soon, taking place on weekends August 20 through October 2.
For the history-minded foodie, Anjila K. Olsen, a.k.a. Alice the Cook will be offering cooking demonstrations four times daily at 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. at the Guard Encampment behind Mac's Pub.
Each weekend at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival is assigned a different theme and Alice the Cook will cook and lecture on a related topic. Check out what's in store:
Theme Weekend Demos:
· Italian weekend - History of pasta and how to make pasta from scratch
· Royal Ale weekend - How to make Shepard's Pie and Black Pudding (British)
· Silk Road - Curry Chickpea Stew, Samosa, and Chicken Tika
· Highland Fling - How to make Haggis (traditional and vegetarian versions)
· Wine and Chocolate - Pomegranate and Raspberry Wine Pork with Port Poached Pears along with the History of Chocolate
· High Seas - Historical Overview of how to prepare foods for long voyages: Salting, Smoking, and Pickling techniques will be demonstrated
· Irish - Farrells, Boxtys, and Lamb Stew
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Minneapolis & St. Paul dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.