It's Cinco de Mayo! Here's where to celebrate
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with food and drink!
Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla in 1862 and makes a great excuse to eat Mexican food.
Here are a few of the most interesting celebrations taking place over the next several days around the metro:
5. The biggest fiesta takes place in the District del Sol in St. Paul's West Side on Friday, May 6, from 4 to 9 p.m., and Saturday, May 7, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. There's a parade, luncheon, lowrider car show, plus all sorts of tasty eats at El Burrito Mercado and all the other authentic Mexican joints along Cesar Chavez. Metro Transit is offering free bus passes to the event, available for download here.
4. The most noteworthy Mexican nightlife in Minneapolis can be found at El Nuevo Rodeo at Hi-Lake, and the restaurant/club is having Cinco de Mayo music and drink specials all weekend, from May 4 through 8.
3. Pepitos restaurant is hosting its first-annual, five-mile fun run/walk in honor of the holiday on Saturday at 11 a.m. The course will start at Pepitos, then follow Minnehaha Parkway and circle around Lake Nokomis before finishing back at the restaurant for a post-party. Registration costs $35, but includes a free taco with rice and beans and a beer.
2. Rojo Mexican Grill in St. Louis Park will be having an indoor-outdoor party from 11 a.m. to midnight, today, May 5. There will be live music, street food, plus contests, giveaways, and food and drink specials, including $3 beers, tacos, and margaritas, and $1 cotija corn.
1. If other commitments prevent you from partying this weekend, take a rain check and get yourself tickets to Chino Latino's tequila dinner on May 12, which cost $60/per person, plus tax and gratuity. The spirit will be paired with everything from scallops to goat to tres leches cake.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Minneapolis & St. Paul dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.