France 44 shares the secrets of Scotland's finest whiskey this Week in Food.
Prepare for spring by planning your garden, pairing your wine and cheese, and picking out the perfect brew, wine, or scotch for your next big shindig. It's all here, this Week in Food.
- Pairing the wrong cheese with your wine can really wreak havoc. Learn how to avoid this mistake at France 44's Wine and Cheese Pairings class. $30. 6:30 p.m.
- With all the snow on the ground, you'd never know it, but gardening season is almost upon us. Join cook and master gardener Terry John Zila at Kitchen Window to plan for your window, patio, or large garden. Reservations required. $65. 6:30 p.m.
Scotland's finest at France 44.
- Celiacs can have their cake and eat it too at Cooks of Crocus Hill's "Gluten-Free Cupcakes, Cookies, Cakes, and Pies." Learn how to make delicious baked goods completely gluten free. $65. Reservations required. 6 p.m. St. Paul Location.
- Head back to France 44 and take a wet ride through Scotland at its Scotch Class. Topics will include popular producing regions, production methods, and food pairing. $30. Registration required. 6:30 p.m.
As they say, everybody's Irish on St. Patrick's Day. Get in on the (mostly boozy) action at your favorite Irish hot spot:
- O'Gara's will be serving up green beer and raucous crowds from morning till night.
- The black and tans will be free-flowing at The Liffey downtown St. Paul. Take part in the annual St. Patrick's Day Parade, then warm up with some bangers and mash.
- Get authentic at Keegan's Pub where the bar was made in Ireland and shipped to Minnesota.
- There will be plenty of dancing at the Happy Gnome, which will host Irish folk singers, including the Sweet Colleens and more.
- Grab a scotch or a Guinness and tap your toes to some Irish folk songs at the Dubliner Pub on University Avenue.
- Go on a brews cruise at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. Enjoy a four-course meal served with varieties of Schell's beer. $60-65. 7 p.m.
- Experience Japan with chef and author Sarah Marx Feldner who will share stories and recipes from her book, "A Cook's Journey to Japan" at Cooks of Crocus Hill--Saint Paul. $70. 1 p.m.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Minneapolis & St. Paul dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.