If your idea of having fun with your food consists of making a face out of your bologna, perhaps it’s time to up your game. The teasers at Tongue In Cheek will make you smile twice: First when they come to the table, each one presented like a little gift, one in a charming egg cup, another in a wee Champagne flute; and again as you take a taste and realize that the menu descriptions (really more a list of ingredients) didn’t prepare you for the imaginative food in front of you.
The teasers incorporate bits of molecular gastronomy, as in the orange juice and passion fruit sphere that floats in a glass of Champagne in the Mi-Whoa-Sa. But the trick is less “look at me,” and more “this is so cool." There are five teasers in all, and at $3 each you can afford to try more than one of these playful palate pleasers.
If you’ve had a great week and want to treat yourself, or if you’ve had a horrible week and need a mood lifter, you can’t beat the happy hour deal, where you can get a flight that includes all of the teasers and the bar’s cocktail teaser flight (see Best Dishes #56) for $20. Happy hour goes from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday.
Tongue In Cheek
989 Payne Ave., St. Paul
- Tongue in Cheek teases, twists, and ultimately delivers
- Tongue in Cheek winks with playful, chef-driven eats in Payne-Phalen
- Best dishes countdown #44: Sandwiches at the Bachelor Farmer Cafe
- Best dishes countdown #42: Green chile cheese fries at Halftime Rec
- Weekday brunch: 5 best places to get your fix before the weekend