Caspers' Cherokee Sirloin Room Eagan damaged in fire

Early morning flames char Casper's Sport Barn
Early morning flames char Casper's Sport Barn

At 5:45 a.m. Sunday morning first responders were dispatched to 4625 Nichols Road after there were reports of a fire. When they arrived on the scene, the Eagan fire department discovered the exterior deck area of Caspers' Cherokee Sirloin Room engulfed in flames.

The family-owned restaurant is known for being active in the community, participating in fundraisers as well as a popular location for events. While their original West St. Paul location is more formal, the Eagan restaurant, known as the "Sports Barn," has a more casual setting.

Here's what happened:
Eagan Fire Chief Mike Scott blames poorly extinquished cigarettes.  According to bar staff, there had been a fire in a wooden barrel flower pot used to dispose of cigarette butts earlier in the evening. Using water to douse the flames, they believed the fire to be out. The fire is thought to have continued to smolder and later spread to the exterior of the building, destroying the deck. Crews were able to contain the fire. The exterior was heavily damaged and the interior sustained considerable water damage.

The building was unoccupied at the time and no one was injured in the incident.

Owner Jim Casper told KARE 11 news that the business will be closed for a week or longer. 

Last December Casper & Runyon's Nook in St. Paul, owned in part by Casper's son Ted Casper, was also severely damaged by fire. They were able to reopen in early March.

Sponsor Content


All-access pass to the top stories, events and offers around town.

  • Top Stories


All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >