Wisconsin Republicans' fake Democrats exposed
A number of Wisconsin Republicans are still trying to figure out how to survive the PR debacle birthed by their public employee union busting legislation earlier this year. One of the upshots is a series of recall drives being launched against vulnerable legislators at the Capitol.
Now it turns out that, rather than running on principles they insist are supported by a majority of Wisconsin voters, Republicans are recruiting fake Democrats to run in the primary races to try to take the heat off GOP candidates.
The spoiler Democrats, who are identified by name in the letters, would run in the Democratic primaries for the seats now held by Republican Sens. Randy Hopper of Fond du Lac and Luther Olsen of Ripon.
With the scandal exposed, some of the GOP candidates said they either didn't know what was being done on their behalf, or disowned the maneuver.
In the midst of this latest gaffe, the law prompting the recall effort is being challenged in court because it was passed allegedly in violation of Wisconsin's open meeting laws. The Wisconsin Supreme Court began hearing arguments in the case yesterday.
- Scott Walker's union busting bill voided by judge
- Scott Walker loses the zombie vote
- Scott Walker wins, Democrat accuses GOP of breaking the law
- Scott Walker cracks a little on union busting
- Nick Milroy, Wis. Democrat, tackled by police for trying to get to his office [VIDEO]
- Republican claims Wisconsin senate Democrats getting homesick
- Scott Walker: Wisconsin has buyer's remorse
- Madison police chief troubled by Scott Walker's comments
- Scott Walker phone fail: Falls for prank call you wouldn't believe
- Bachmann wants Obama to be more like Wisconsin governor, but Americans don't
- Wisconsin 14 won't get paychecks until they come home
- Wisconsin police hunt down Democratic senators over union-busting bill
- Bachmann vs. Obama on Wisconsin unions
- Wisconsin will call out National Guard against striking state workers
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Why we removed a controversial post
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:00pm
Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Mens Hockey vs. University of Nebraska - Omaha Mavericks Mens HockeySat., Oct. 10, 7:07pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:30pm
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
- Homeless youth Don Turner chases down thief in downtown Minneapolis
- Mall of America protest case costs Black Lives Matter's Adja Gildersleve an apartment