Wisconsin 14 won't get paychecks until they come home [UPDATE]
Wisconsin Republican state senators can't get their 14 Democratic counterparts to show up and vote on a union busting bill, so they're pushing through a new rule that ends direct deposit paychecks for members.
If the senators on the lam want to get paid, they're going to have to show up and collect their checks from the Senate president -- a Republican -- in person on the Senate floor.
At least that would spare everyone the spectacle of state troopers arresting the senators, as GOP Gov. Scott Walker instructed the troopers last week. The 14 are reportedly hiding out in Illinois.
- Wisconsin police hunt down Democratic senators over union-busting bill
- Bachmann vs. Obama on Wisconsin unions
- Jon Stewart pillories GOP "ritual sacrifice" of Wisconsin unions
- Wisconsin will call out National Guard against striking state workers
Have you seen these senators?
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Rising rents putting the hurt on Twin Cities working folks
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- What does Black Lives Matter want from the Minnesota Fair?
- The dentist lion killer Halloween costume is here