Valleyfair's big stink makes people sick
The pool at Valleyfair: it can be stinky
We have to admit, an afternoon spent sucking on cotton candy, flailing about on roller coasters, and wading into a massive, potentially pee-filled pool with hundreds of strangers sounds like a good way to induce a solid bout of vomit. But yesterday afternoon, folks at Valleyfair didn't need those things to turn green.
A giant "chlorine burst" at the pool made a bunch of people sick. The strong chlorine smell was so bad that people were having trouble breathing. Ambulances came to take at least 16 people--most of them in their teens--to the hospital, according to the Shakopee Valley News. They had irritated eyes and airways.
What's even weirder is that when firefighters shut down the park and looked for a leak, they couldn't find one. The chlorine levels in the water were fine, and the air was also safe. They chalked up the big stink to the restarting of a pool pump. Oops.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- A terrible Minneapolis park deal just got $2 million worse
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- Why you should never run over a kid while flying a confederate flag
- Minnesota has eighth most expensive cigarettes