[UPDATE] Minneapolis Southwest High School Shut Down Due to "Credible Threat"

A "credible threat" convinced Minneapolis Public Schools to decide to cancel all events at Southwest High School today around 11 p.m. last night.

Late last night Southwest households received a robocall delivering the news voiced by Principal Bill Smith, and shortly afterward messages went up on the school's website and social media channels. See also: Newsweek Calls Southwest High School the Best in Minnesota

The message reads:

Southwest High School is closed on Wednesday, Jan. 28, due to a credible threat to the school community. The Minneapolis Police Department is responding to the incident. The safety of students and staff is our priority, which is why we made the decision to close.

This closure affects all Southwest High School events, including Community Education classes, athletics events and all extracurricular activities. All other MPS schools will remain open.

Staff and students are encouraged to participate in classroom discussions and online coursework as much as possible today. We will continue to update families with more information as it is available.

When reached earlier this morning a Minneapolis police spokesman could not confirm any investigation into a threat at Southwest, and a Minneapolis Public Schools spokesperson could not provide any more information about the threat other than the statement provided.

Check back later on for more details.

[UPDATE] 11:45 AM

The Minneapolis Police Department issued a statement referencing its bomb team and K9 unit, but concrete details are still hard to come by. The statement reads:

"The MPD received a request for assistance from MPS last night. Whenever a request comes in (from throughout the metro area) our Department is ready to respond with our bomb team and K9 unit, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our services were requested for Wednesday morning at Southwest High School, and as such, MPD teams provided its standard response based on the request."

[UPDATE #2] 12:05 PM

Someone called in a fake bomb threat. MPS confirmed the threat was received late last night and a bomb squad led by Minneapolis police didn't find anything on a walk-through this morning.

School is back on for tomorrow, and in the mean time MPS is working with the police to catch the person who called in the threat.

"There are serious consequences for individuals who make threats to our students and schools. We will cooperate with Minneapolis Police to ensure that individuals are held responsible for their actions," a MPS statement reads.

Send news tips to Ben Johnson.