The 42-year-old man who stole a car from former WCCO anchor Jeannette Trompeter's boyfriend has been charged in court.
Steven Dion Kellum--also known as Dion Steven Blencoe--has been charged with second-degree felony assault and felony motor vehicle theft. On Friday, Blencoe allegedly stole the black BMW from the driveway of Trompeter's Lake Calhoun home.
Minneapolis police officers chased the car and ended up shooting Kellum. When police pulled Kellum over near Cedar Lake Road North and Chestnut Avenue, he gunned his car toward the officers, and the cops fired at him. Kellum drove another 50 meters and crashed into a tree. He was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he was in critical condition. He remains in the hospital.
Today, the names of the Minneapolis police officers involved were released:
- Officer Daniel Anderson, who was hired 1/2001
- Officer Richard Taylor, who was hired 4/2006
- Officer Danielle Evans, who was hired 6/1998
The involved officers, as well as three officers who witnessed the shooting, have been put on standard paid administrative leave while the event is investigated. The witness officers are:
- Sgt Shannon Barnette, date of hire 2/1987
- Officer Kurtis Schoonover, date of hire 11/2006
- Officer Gretchen Bloss, date of hire 9/2006