Trace Maxwell's suicide and the triple homicide mystery


Police across the Twin Cities are piecing together the facts behind one of the more bloody killing sprees in recent local memory: Three people in three different communities were shot and killed Thursday, possibly by the same man: 40-year-old tattoo artist Trace Maxwell.

Adding to the mystery: Maxwell's own drugs-and-hookers-peddling life also ended that morning, after he shot and killed himself while being followed by flotilla of police cruisers down Lake Street. KSTP reports he may have had a hit list containing as many as six names.

Not since January, when three men were killed during an attempted heist at Seward Market and Halal Meat on Franklin Street have so many locals been killed in a single crime spree.

Initially it appeared as though Maxwell's girlfriend, 28-year-old Amy Terborg, was his first victim. She was found shot to death at about 2:30 a.m. at a house on Logan Avenue in North Minneapolis that she had just moved into with 20-year-old Gina Fredrickson.

Fredrickson was wounded in the shooting and remains at HCMC in serious condition.

About an hour later, Maxwell showed up at the home of 38-year-old Jason Rand in Brooklyn Park and killed him, too.

During the night, Minneapolis and Brooklyn Park cops concluded -- they're not saying how, yet -- that Maxwell was a "person of interest" in both killings. They were able to get his cell phone number from his mother, and they and began tracking him.

Shortly after 7 a.m. MPD spotted his SUV in south Minneapolis and a dozen squad cars from Minneapolis, Brooklyn Park and the Hennepin County sheriff's office were following him on a slow chase down East Lake Street in Minneapolis as a detective spoke to the man on his phone.

Then the cops heard what sounded like a gun shot, and Maxwell's SUV crashed near Cedar Avenue and came to a stop.

They found him dead.

And it sounded like that was the end of the story.

But then came reports that an Inver Grove Heights man, Bryan Fisher, had been found dead in his home after not showing up for work that morning.

Did Maxwell kill him too? That's what the Star Tribune is reporting. And WCCO, citing its own sources, says a woman got a message from Maxwell saying, "I killed your boyfriend."

"There's a lot of moving parts to this," Brooklyn Park Police Lt. Todd Milburn told the Pioneer Press.