Tim Pawlenty thinks he's a Southern preacher [UPDATE]
Lost in translation?
Tim Pawlenty appears to have lost his compass bearings while he gears up for an announcement about his White House dreams in a few weeks.
As he dashes around the country courting the GOP base, he's drawling more and more like Jimmy Swaggart, not the son of a St. Paul truck driver.
The Washington Post's Dana Milbank picked up on T-Paw's southern-ese at the Iowa Faith & Freedom Coalition gathering last weekend.
Pawlenty's "campaigning as if he's some sort of Southern preacher," Milbank says.
"This ain't about easy; this is about rolling up our sleeves and plowing ahead and getting the job done," he said, pronouncing "getting" as "git-ing." "We, the people of the United States, will rise up again." "United" became "yew-nah-ted" and "again" became "a-gin." Perhaps he thought he was in South Carolina (Pawlenty pronounced it "care-lahna") as he spoke about the other "kinds (kahns) of things" he's done.
And this was in Iowa. By the time T-Paw gets to Florida he could well be unintelligible.
Update: Maybe the drawling paid off. T-Paw has just signed Eric Woolson to his team. Woolson was top aide to former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee -- another Southern preacher -- in the 2008 Iowa caucuses.
More on Tim Pawlenty
- Keith Ellison: Tim Pawlenty drank "the Kool-Aid"
- Obama thrashes Pawlenty in NBC-Wall Street Journal poll
- Pawlenty will run for president or get off the pot in two weeks
- Tim Pawlenty Episode III: Revenge of the Tea Party [VIDEO]
- Pawlenty Reloaded: 2 Pawlenty 2 Furious [VIDEO]
- Tim Pawlenty's new movie trailer is awesomely over-the-top [VIDEO]
- Pawlenty blockbusters: T-Pocalypse Now, Bravepaw, & more [SLIDESHOW]
- Pawlenty chides Obama for not denouncing Libya violence that Obama already denounced
- Tim Pawlenty is National Review's cover boy
- Tim Pawlenty and Michele Bachmann shellacked in CPAC poll
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
- Steven Timm charged with animal cruelty for harassing, drowning deer
- Cataclysmic boredom propels Stewart Mills into 2016 congressional race
- Man goes to meet prostitute with a trunk full of plastic and a giant empty suitcase