"I'm Tim Pawlenty, and I'm running for President of the United States," the former Minnesota governor says in a web video released this evening.
Pawlenty's been telegraphing his intentions for months, racking up frequent flier miles to make speeches in important primary states, and building a GOP insider-led campaign headquarters in Minneapolis.[jump]
Then came the ghost-written bio that every newswire and newspaper is now mining for quotes about the son of truck driver from South St. Paul. In the book promo tour that followed, Pawlenty suddenly started talking about forcing military gays back into the closet and allowing schools to teach creationism as science.
And lets not forget the totally over the top campaign videos that felt more like Michael Bay movie trailers.
Now he's making everything official, in video that leans heavily on economic issues, avoids social issues like the plague, and promises a public announcement tomorrow in Iowa.
"We need a president who understands that our problems are deep and who has the courage to face them," Pawlenty says. "President Obama doesn't, and I do."
Recently on the T-Paw files:
- If Tim Pawlenty wasn't running for prez, he'd "play hockey and drink beer"
- Team Pawlenty fires shot at "pain in the ass" Bachmann
- Tim Pawlenty's Minneapolis fundraiser: Bachmann and Palin charged more
- T-Paw's campaign manager DWI arrest [VIDEO]
- Tim Pawlenty plays Southwest Airlines flight attendant
- Obama punchlines Pawlenty and Bachmann [VIDEO]
- Tim Pawlenty, action movie hero