Tim Pawlenty: Barack Obama really is American [UPDATE]
President Barack Obama is an American. Rep. Michele Bachmann and her followers seem to have a hard time accepting that fact, but the fellow Minnesotan she may face if she runs for the GOP presidential nomination harbors no such tea party delusions.
Tim Pawlenty said this morning Republicans are making a big mistake if they try to resurrect birther conspiracy theories. You want to beat the guy in 2012? "Question his policies," not his birth certificate.
"I, for one, believe we should not be raising that issue, in the sense that President Obama was born in the United States," Pawlenty told Joe Scarborough, in response to a question about Donald Trump's embrace of the birthers.
But that hasn't stopped T-Paw from riffing on the notion that the president is some kind of alien.
"When you listen to his policies, don't you at least wonder what planet he's from?" he asked tea partiers in Arizona last month.
Ah, yes. We can just imagine the next gloriously over-the-top T-Paw campaign video: "Brother From Another Planet Returns."
Update: T-Paw tells Sean Hannity we ought to worry about real problems:
I just don't believe with the advertisement, with the hospital announcement, with the certificate of live birth, that somebody that long ago, you know, fabricated and created a fraudulent situation that Barack Obama could be where he is today.
Watch the T-Paw movie trailers:
- Tim Pawlenty's new movie trailer is awesomely over-the-top [VIDEO]
- Pawlenty Reloaded: 2 Pawlenty 2 Furious
- Pawlenty III: Return to Pawlenty
- Pawlenty Wars: Revenge of the Tea Party
- Slideshow: Tim Pawlenty's in T-Pocalypse Now, Bravepaw, & more
- Pawlenty's ridiculous movie trailers get the Colbert treatment
Bachmann and the birthers:
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Steven Timm charged with animal cruelty for harassing, drowning deer
- Cataclysmic boredom propels Stewart Mills into 2016 congressional race
- Man goes to meet prostitute with a trunk full of plastic and a giant empty suitcase