Terrence Franklin shot multiple times by MPD, but it's unclear whether he fired a shot himself

Police say Franklin grabbed an MP5 that was around an officer's neck, but what happened after that remains shrouded in mystery.

Police say Franklin grabbed an MP5 that was around an officer's neck, but what happened after that remains shrouded in mystery.

According to the Hennepin County medical examiner, 22-year-old burglary suspect Terrence Franklin was fatally shot multiple times by Minneapolis police on Friday afternoon. But police acknowledge it's unclear whether he was responsible for firing the shots that injured two Minneapolis officers.

THE BACKSTORY: MPD shootings: Cops shot with own gun, biker had green light when fatally hit by squad car

In a separate unflattering development for the MPD, it's now being reported that the accident that claimed the life of 24-year-old Ivan Romero happened more than a half-hour after Franklin was killed. Romero's motorcycle collided with a police SUV at the intersection of West 26th Street and Blaisdell Avenue, and the MPD's account of what happened in the moments leading up to the accident differs from what some witnesses said they saw. Romero reportedly had a green light and was proceeding through the intersection when he collided with the SUV. Police say the SUV had its sirens and lights activated at the time.

[jump] Franklin was killed after breaking into a home at 2717 Bryant Ave. S. around 3:30 p.m. Friday. Police initially sent a K9 into the home's basement to assist with the arrest, but Franklin began wrestling with the dog. Four or five officers then rushed into the basement to take matters into their own hands. During the ensuing struggle, two officers were shot in the legs, and Franklin was shot multiple times and killed. All the shots were fired by a police-issued MP5.

In a press released published Saturday night, the MPD acknowledged that "Exactly who fired and how many times has not yet been determined."

According to the Star Tribune, the crash that killed Romero "occurred 30 minutes after Franklin died, raising numerous questions, including... whether police cars entered an intersection on a red light when the emergency appeared to be over."

The Strib also spoke with three attorneys who have a law office on the corner of 26th and Blaisdell. One of them, Bruce Goldstein, said he was dismayed by how long it took for Romero and his passenger -- 20-year-old Jocelin Torrejon, who is expected to survive her injuries -- to receive medical attention.

"I did not see any first aid given until the firemen arrived," Goldstein told the Strib.

Another of the attorneys, Rashmi Seneviratne, told the Strib, "I don't want to paint the cops or anyone in a bad light, but what I did remember noticing and thinking was really bad, was when the ambulance came and they were putting the girl on the stretcher, they covered her boyfriend up with a white sheet right in front of her, so she knew that he was dead. And that really added to the emotional trauma of that incident."

-- Follow Aaron Rupar on Twitter at @atrupar. Got a tip? Drop him a line at [email protected]