St. Paul Police Believed to Have Killed Man Who's Threatened Cops Before

Police still consider it "a very active investigation" and ask anyone with information to call 651-266-5650

Police still consider it "a very active investigation" and ask anyone with information to call 651-266-5650

A man was shot and killed by St. Paul police early Wednesday morning. Here's what we know so far:

See also: St. Paul Police Shoot and Kill Man After He Stabs Police Dog to Death

Who was shot?

UPDATE: St. Paul Police have confirmed the victim is Marcus Ryan Golden. The Golden family issued the following statement:

The family of Marcus Golden would like to express our sorrow and heartbreak following the news of his sudden death today. Marcus was a beloved son, grandson, brother nephew and cousin and he will be sorely missed. We are expecting an extensive, fair and independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding his death. We realize there are many questions surrounding the shooting and we ask the public to remain calm as, together, we await answers.The family is also asking the public and the media to respect our privacy at this time.

The Pioneer Press is reporting the victim is Marcus Ryan Golden, a 24-year-old who has a history of allegedly making threats toward police.

Police Clips posted the scanner chatter leading up to the incident, and Golden's name is mentioned. During the initial call he is described as a black male in his 20s with a full beard wearing a hat.

Sgt. Paul Paulos said at a media briefing yesterday morning that Golden was known to carry a gun, but wasn't sure if he was carrying when the incident occurred.

What happened?

Police responded to a call at 2:15 a.m. because Golden was allegedly making death threats via text message from a parking lot at 261 University Ave. E.

St. Paul Chief Tom Smith released a statement saying Golden drove his vehicle -- described as a green GMC Jimmy on the scanner chatter -- at officers who responded to the call.

An undetermined number of shots were fired and a gun was found at the scene, although police haven't confirmed if it was Golden's gun, or if it was fired at all. The two officers involved were not injured and have been placed on mandatory paid three-day leave. They have been with the St. Paul police for two years and seven years, respectively. Where did it happen?

In the parking lot of Valley Hi-Rise at 261 University Ave. E. It's an 11-story public housing tower containing 159 studio and one-bedroom apartments catering to elderly, disabled, and single adults.

Anything else?

The St. Paul NAACP is calling for an outside investigation into the shooting. Police, meanwhile, are asking for witnesses or anyone with information about the incident to call 651-266-5650.

Send news tips to Ben Johnson.