Senate petitions court to join shutdown lawsuit, while courts sue to stay open
GOP members of a Senate panel have passed a resolution authorizing the entire body to intervene in the lawsuit filed by Gov. Mark Dayton to keep essential services running in the case of a government shutdown. Today, the courts filed their own petition begging legislators and the governor to keep the courts open.
How the heck is this nightmare going to get resolved? It's really getting crazy here in Minnesota.
Yesterday's resolution, which passed on a 6-3 party line vote, comes after petitions earlier this week from both Attorney General Lori Swanson and the governor. Sen. Majority Leader Amy Koch said that the petition allows the state legislature a voice at the table. Sen. Minority Leader Tom Bakk said he could not support it, because it didn't outline a position on the lawsuit.
So far, a government shutdown is looking increasingly likely. Last week, Dayton told a gathering of journalists that he was not optimistic that a shutdown would be avoided. And government workers are preparing for the worst: sending out letters to let people know how they'll be affected if the statehouse lights go dark.
- Gov. Dayton's response letter to AG Lori Swanson
- Gov. Dayton's Priority 1 an 2 Services
- Statewide Objectives For Managing A Shutdown
- Sen. David Hann calls Archbishop Nienstedt a socialist sympathizer
- Dayton wants 13,000 workers spared from shutdown
- Department of Human Services mails 572,000 shutdown warnings to clients
- What's essential in a shutdown? State files petition to explain
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- UnitedHealth is getting even richer on Obamacare
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
- The Top 10 T-shirts of the Minnesota State Fair
- Top 5 Hate Mails of the Week: With new & improved fecal insults!