Scott Walker's "David Koch" phone fail: GOP seeks to outlaw prank calls
Two Wisconsin Republicans insist up and down that their bill to outlaw prank phone calls has nothing to do with their governor being humiliated by a blogger posing as billionaire GOP financier David Koch.
rank calls are really scary, say Sen. Mary Lazich and Rep. Mark Honadel, whose bill would make it illegal for someone like Ian Murphy to punk Walker into exposing his strategy for trying to bust Wisconsin's public employee unions.
"Spoofing is said to have some legitimate uses," Honadel's spokesman told The Daily Badger, but it can also be used to frighten, harass and potentially defraud people.
It can make a victim look really foolish in the national press, too. Especially when the call goes on for 20 minutes while a tape recorder picks up the whole conversation. But Lazich and Honadel say they were working on similar legislation last year, which proves they're not trying to protect Walker from his own gullibility.
Unless maybe they knew what was coming.
- Republicans claims Wisconsin senate Democrats getting homesick
- Scott Walker: Wisconsin has buyer's remorse
- Madison police chief, mayor troubled by Scott Walker's comments
- Pawlenty Reloaded: Stand with Walker
- Keith Ellison denounces "dictator" Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker
- Scott Walker phone fail: Wis. governor falls for prank call you wouldn't believe
- Mark Dayton, eyeing Wisconsin, promises no union-busting laws
- Bachmann wants Obama to be more like Wisconsin governor, but Americans don't
- Wisconsin 14 won't get paychecks until they come home
- Wisconsin police hunt down Democratic senators over union-busting bill
- Bachmann vs. Obama on Wisconsin unions
- Jon Stewart pillories GOP "ritual sacrifice" of Wisconsin unions
- Wisconsin will call out National Guard against striking state workers
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Minnesota Reps. Tim Kelly, Tara Mack ticketed for "making out" in a car
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
- Lake Calhoun gets guerrilla-style name change
- John Kline once again fights against workers' rights