Scott Walker nears triumph: Wisconsin Assembly passes union-busting bill [UPDATES]
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is one step closer to getting his union-busting bill, now that the GOP-controlled state Assembly snuck in an early-morning vote on the measure while Democrats were caught flat-footed.
Now if only he could get those pesky state Senate Democrats to bow and kiss his ring, he'll have succeeded in stripping most of his public employee unions of their collective bargaining rights.
Passage in the Assembly was all but a done deal. Democrats there had staged a filibuster, and tried to add amendment after amendment to slow the process down, but Republicans had set a 60-hour time limit on that gambit.
At 1 a.m., with only 13 of 37 Democrats on hand, they called a vote and then headed for the elevators as protesters screamed and hollered.
Now the focus moves to the Senate, whose minority of 14 Democrats are still on the lam in Illinois with no intention of returning until Walker agrees to compromise on the bill. Until they come back, there's no quorum--and no vote.
Walker says he won't budge, and has threatened to start giving thousands of public employees pink slips if he doesn't get his way.
Meanwhile, the Assembly vote probably helps his severely bruised ego after being punk'd earlier in the week on the phone by a blogger posing as a billionaire GOP financier.
Update #1: Here's video from Madison after the vote:
Update #2: Thumbing their collective noses at Walker, the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse faculty have voted to join a union.
- Madison police chief, mayor troubled by Scott Walker's comments
- Pawlenty Reloaded: Stand with Walker
- Keith Ellison denounces "dictator" Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker
- Scott Walker phone fail: Wis. governor falls for prank call you wouldn't believe
- Mark Dayton, eyeing Wisconsin, promises no union-busting laws
- Bachmann wants Obama to be more like Wisconsin governor, but Americans don't
- Wisconsin 14 won't get paychecks until they come home
- Wisconsin police hunt down Democratic senators over union-busting bill
- Bachmann vs. Obama on Wisconsin unions
- Jon Stewart pillories GOP "ritual sacrifice" of Wisconsin unions
- Wisconsin will call out National Guard against striking state workers
Have you seen these senators?
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Who's regulating Clearwater Kennel, one of America's "worst puppy mills"?
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- Minnesota's first nonprofit pet clinic draws visitors across the Midwest
- Scott Walker wants to protect us from the Canadian menace