Rybak declares disaster, City Council plans emergency meeting
The disaster declarations could free up state and federal funds.
Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak as issued a formal declaration of emergency in the wake of Sunday's tornado touchdown in North Minneapolis, paving the way for an emergency City Council meeting tomorrow. The meeting takes place at 9:30 a.m. in council chambers.
Rybak originally declared the state of emergency on Sunday, but he needs the council's approval for it to extend beyond the original 72 hours. Council members are expected to extend the declaration indefinitely, keeping curfews, the exclusion zone and other emergency responses in place.
Once the City Council acts, Gov. Mark Dayton can declare a state of disaster, which in turn makes it possible for the president to do likewise, which frees up a lot of potential federal disaster funds.
Rybak toured the disaster zone today with Dayton and Hoiuse Speaker Kurt Zellers, who said the Legislature is "ready, willing and able" to meet in a special session to consider ways in which the state can help Minneapolis recover.
More on the tornado:
- Minneapolis tornado kills one person, rips up homes
- Twin Cities tornado damage 2011: Your photos
- Minneapolis tornado: Videos from the scene
- Pawlenty strangely silent on tornado damage to Minnesota
- Minneapolis tornado "exclusion zone" map and details
- Rybak declares disaster, City Council plans emergency meeting
- Xcel says 11,000 tornado victims still without power
- Rob MacIntyre, Raptor Resource Project director, ID'd as tornado victim
- How to help tornado victims in North Minneapolis
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- UnitedHealth is getting even richer on Obamacare
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
- The Top 10 T-shirts of the Minnesota State Fair
- Top 5 Hate Mails of the Week: With new & improved fecal insults!