RNC: Highlights from Day Two, including the canceled Rage show
When we broke the news of the surprise Rage Against the Machine show at the Ripple Effect concert, we knew there was a risk the police would shut the permitless operation down. But we couldn't have anticipated what would happen next. As Andrea Myers' on-site report shows, police precluded the band from playing -- but not from leading the crowd in song through a bullhorn.
That wasn't all.
The group joined protesters on a march, linking up with pre-existing activist efforts. Photos of the concert and the march are here. Tensions continued to build throughout the evening, as police cordoned off parts of downtown St. Paul, with our Matt Snyders tracking the situation.
That wasn't the end of the evening for Rage guitarist Tom Morello, though, who joined Billy Bragg, Ike Reilly, Boots from the Coup and others at the Mad Ripple Hootenany.
Other highlights from yesterday:
* Medics were arrested by police, as Ben Westhoff looked on and took video;
* Democracy Now! producers, a day after their arrest, spoke with Jonathan Kaminsky
* Joe Lieberman's speech, which Bradley Campbell live-blogged.
We don't have today's schedule yet, but we know Sarah Palin is slated to speak after being effectively sequestered for several days. I'll be on the floor, and I can't wait.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Slowly, Lake Calhoun is losing its weird tribute to Mr. Slavery
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
- Kitty Westin wants to save parents from having to bury a child
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner says toy hamster stole her name and her looks