"Ponder's wedding will be the first without a reception" [TOP 10 TWEETS]
At the start of the season, Ponder said football was his girlfriend. For better or worse, things changed in a hurry.
Yesterday's late-breaking news that Christian Ponder and Samantha Steele are engaged turned Twitter into a forum for Twin Cities media personalities to do their best comedian impressions just in time for happy hour.
The possibilities for jokes are endless! Here's the Vikings struggling quarterback -- one who has been remarkably open about his dating life in the past -- popping the question to a smokin' ESPN sideline reporter after just a couple months of dating. It's comedic gold, and thankfully, some folks were up to the task of doing some late-afternoon mining.
First, here's the unquestioned best tweet about the Ponder-Steele engagement:
Common Man line of day, Ponder's wedding will be the first one held without a reception!
-- Mark Rosen (@WCCORosen) December 4, 2012
As of yesterday evening, it had been retweed almost 500 times. We always love that one!
And here's the best of the rest in top 10 form:
10. Dan Barreiro offered this up on Monday, a day before news of the engagement broke. Perhaps Ponder can schedule his wedding for this Sunday at noon?
Hey, last weekend, couldn't Christian Ponder have gotten married and Joe Mauer played QB for the Vikings?
-- Dan Barreiro (@DanBarreiroKFAN) December 3, 2012
9. You have to know a thing or two about football to get this one...
When Ponder proposed to Steele, it was the first time he took a knee in his career cc @atrupar
-- Nick Halter (@NHalterJournals) December 4, 2012
8. KFAN's Paul Allen is as plugged in to the Vikings as it gets, so he was definitely trying to drop a hint when he offered up this plug for his interview with the Vikes QB yesterday morning:
Next is @cponder7 .... OOOHHHH GOODY. Hope conversation is engaging. Love the kid.
-- Paul Allen(@PAKFANVikes) December 4, 2012
7. The award for Meanest Ponder-Steele Engagement Tweet goes to ESPN 1500's Dana Wessel:
"My ship is sinking fast. I gotta lock this girl up before I'm a backup and getting shot down by skanks at Sneaky Petes" -- Ponder, I bet.
-- Dana Wessel (@DanaWessel) December 4, 2012
6. The Pioneer Press' Brian Murphy offered up this quintessential example of #HumbleBrag:
Something twisted about hanging up with U.S. Congressman after talking NFL and antitrust law, texting Christian Ponder to confirm engagement
-- Brian Murphy (@murphPPress) December 4, 2012
Christian Ponder gets engaged after 1 month of dating. He knew he'd never win a ring so he just went out and bought one instead.
-- Mike Graves (@MikeGraves_) December 4, 2012
4. Engagement is a two-way street...
Christian Ponder engaged to ESPN reporter. In related news, Vikings rethink engagement to Ponder.
-- Tim Gihring (@TimGihring) December 4, 2012
3. Who says football can't teach you life lessons?
BTW, if Christian Ponder doesn't see the ring bearer within the first 2 seconds, someone needs to tell him not to flush from the alter.
-- Phil Mackey (@PMac21) December 4, 2012
2. How will Steele feel about marrying an Arena Leaguer?
Ponder had to ask fast if Samantha Steele was going to achieve her goal of being engaged to an NFL Quarterback.
-- Jason DeRusha (@DeRushaJ) December 4, 2012
1. Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love don't have rings on their fingers... yet....
In 1 week, Mauer gets married and Ponder supposedly gets engaged. The bathrooms at Seven are no doubt full of sobbing jersey chasers.
-- Lindsay Guentzel (@LindsayGuentzel) December 4, 2012
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Rising rents putting the hurt on Twin Cities working folks
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- What does Black Lives Matter want from the Minnesota Fair?
- The dentist lion killer Halloween costume is here