Police release office shooting timeline, say two victims tried to stop shooter

Officers outside Accent Signage's Bryn Mawr headquarters late Thursday.
Officers outside Accent Signage's Bryn Mawr headquarters late Thursday.
KARE screengrab

This afternoon, police released new information on Thursday's tragic workplace shooting at Accent Signage in Bryn Mawr. The violence left three wounded and five dead, including 36-year-old shooter Andrew Engeldinger, an employee of the company who took out his gun after hearing that he was being fired.

In an interview this morning on WCCO Radio, Minneapolis Police Chief Tim Dolan described the bloodshed as "the worst shooting we've had in the state of Minnesota."

The Minneapolis Police Department expects to conclude its ongoing investigation by the end of the week. Until then, the department has released revealing information about what it knows so far, including why Engeldinger was fired, where he practiced shooting, and how two of his victims tried to stop him.

See also:
- Tragedy Andrew Engeldinger, Accent Signage shooter, was fired yesterday, targeted management

September 27 was a normal workday at Accent, police say. The company's managers had already decided to fire Engeldinger, due to his "continued poor performance and lateness." They had previously talked about the issues with Engeldinger, and the previous week, had sent him a written warning that, unless he improved, he would be terminated.

At the end of the day on Thursday, Engeldinger was asked to go into the office of John Souter. He first left the building, went to his car, and then returned to meet with Souter and another employee, Rami Cooks.

The two men told Engeldinger that "his employment was terminated," and gave him his final paycheck. At that point, Engeldinger pulled out his gun, and while the three struggled over the weapon, Engeldinger shot Cooks, who did not survive, and Souter, who remains in serious condition.

At that point, the founder of the company, Reuven Rahamim, stepped out from his adjacent office, and Engeldinger shot him. He then began walking through the rest of the building. He fired at his next victim in the sign display area, and then moved out to the loading dock, where he shot another employee as well as a UPS driver.

From there, Engeldinger walked into the production area, and near the doors, he fired shots at two employees, grazing one and hitting the other. He then walked downstairs to the basement, where he took his own life. Engeldinger's family says he has struggled with mental illness.

Police Chief Dolan told WCCO that because the violence happened in "three distinct areas," the "people in those areas didn't have an idea what was going on outside of [their] areas until it was right in front of them."

Engeldinger was armed with a Glock 9mm, and carried two magazines in addition to loose ammunition. Later, when police searched his home, they recovered a second loaded Glock 9mm, as well as "spare magazines, boxes of ammunition, an ankle holster, two gun cases, targets, gun cleaning supplies, permit to carry application materials, certification of completion for concealed carry training, and empty shipping boxes that could have delivered approximately 10,000 rounds of ammunition."

Both guns were purchased legally, but information on whether Engeldinger had a permit to carry is not public. Engeldinger reportedly practiced at the Burnsville Rifle and Pistol Range.

Of the three injured victims, two remain in treatment at Hennepin County Medical Center, and one has been released.

Sponsor Content


All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >