Officers involved in Jamar Clark shooting won't face discipline, will return to work

Jamar Clark (Photo: Billy Steve Clayton; Star Tribune File)

Jamar Clark (Photo: Billy Steve Clayton; Star Tribune File)

Officers Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze did not violate Minneapolis Police Department policies during the fatal 2015 shooting of Jamar Clark, an internal investigation found. 

“My son is dead -- who do I go to for justice?” Clark's mother, Irma Burns, yelled during a 25-minute meeting Friday at City Hall with Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau, according to the family's attorney, Albert Goins

Both officers are now cleared to return to work, WCCO reports. Ringgenberg's lawyer says his client is eager to get back on patrol. 

"[The officers] did not have the opportunity to negotiate in this incident," Harteau said Friday afternoon in a press conference addressing the internal affairs decision. She discussed the "devastating loss of the Clark family" and the "profound" impact Clark's death had on the city, but stressed her complete support of both officers involved.   

Clark, 25, was shot to death November 15 in north Minneapolis by Schwarze after being tackled to the ground by Ringgenberg; both officers say Clark reached for Ringgenberg's gun as the men struggled. Whether or not Clark was handcuffed when he was shot remained a point of contention throughout investigations by the state, the FBI, and the U.S. Department of Justice.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced in March that no charges would be brought against Ringgenberg and Schwarze. Freeman's office arrived at the decision, forgoing use of a grand jury. U.S. Attorney Andrew Luger said there was insufficient evidence to bring a federal case against the officers. 

Clark's shooting spawned 18 days of protests outside of the Police Department's Fourth Precinct building in north Minneapolis. His death drew international attention and became part of an ongoing societal discussion about police violence against black Americans.