Office fridge stank sends 7 to hospital, sickens dozens
Next time you "forget" it's your turn to clean out the office fridge or hope that sandwich you tossed in there a month ago will stay fresh for your next meat craving, think again. This San Jose, Calif. office should be a lesson for all.
An office fridge got so foul that when an ambitious worker decided to try and clean it out, seven employees had to be sent to the hospital due to the fumes and dozens became ill. Nasty.
More from the Associated Press:
Firefighters had to evacuate the AT&T building in downtown San Jose on Tuesday after the fumes led someone to call 911. A hazmat team was called in.
What crews found was an unplugged refrigerator crammed with moldy food.
Authorities say an enterprising office worker had decided to clean it out, placing the food in a conference room while using two cleaning chemicals to scrub down the mess. The mixture of old lunches and disinfectant caused 28 people to need treatment for vomiting and nausea.
And why would any worker take on this job in the first place? She can't smell because of allergies.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Who's regulating Clearwater Kennel, one of America's "worst puppy mills"?
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- Minnesota's first nonprofit pet clinic draws visitors across the Midwest
- Scott Walker wants to protect us from the Canadian menace