Nice Ride 2011 rolls out with mechanical and billing snafu
The snafu is over, Nice Ride reports.
Nice Ride MN
Season No. 2 for our nifty bike share program Nice Ride rolled out in a less than spectacular fashion over the weekend: Some customers wanted to return their bikes, but they couldn't.
We hear that riders were treated to nasty grinding noises when they tried to dock their bikes. And the rental wouldn't close out properly, meaning they could be denied another rental, and maybe be billed for late fees.
That's not exactly a stable revenue model.
Nice Ride blamed the snafu on some mechanical upgrades made to the bike docks over the winter, and crews fanned out Saturday to get the system back up and running to spec. We saw one team at work in the North Loop. And the organization kept customers up to date on Facebook and its homepage.
Nice Ride's bike stations: There are more coming this year. Click to enlarge.
Nice Ride MN
The problems should be fixed now, and Nice Ride reports 350 bikes in service at 56 stations around Minneapolis. The number of rental stations will grow to more than 100 over the course of the spring and summer, extending into North, South, Southwest and Northeast Minneapolis.
- Nice Ride rolling out North Minneapolis bike rental station expansion first
- Nice Ride Minnesota secures major funding for expansion
- Blue Cross Blue Shield drops $1.5 million money bomb on Nice Ride
- Nice Ride bike share's so hot it may cool biz for other renters
- Nice Ride bike share funds new North Side expansion
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Richfield cop shoves, hits Somali teen [video]
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sun., Oct. 18, 12:00pm
Fri., Oct. 23, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
- Buy your family season tickets at the new Vikings Stadium for a mere $17,000
- Landon Steele's anti-hipster, anti-Black Lives Matter rant goes viral