Nathan Kluessendorf charged with attempting to kill police officers

Nathan Kluessendorf, pictured here from an earlier arrest, is charged with six felonies.

Nathan Kluessendorf, pictured here from an earlier arrest, is charged with six felonies.

Nathan Kluessendorf, the 22 year old who holed up in his St. Paul Park house and shot at police for several hours last week, has been charged with six felonies by the Washington County Attorney.

St. Paul Park police responded to a call of a suicidal man around 2 a.m. on Tuesday, and entered Kluessendorf's house on the 1000 block of Summit Avenue. Two cops heard yelling coming from a bedroom inside the house, and moved closer to find Kluessendorf sitting on the floor of his room holding a shotgun, according to the complaint.

Kluessendorf looked up at one of the cops and pumped the shotgun.

"Get the fuck out," Kluessendorf said.

The police followed that instruction, and took cover in the backyard. Soon enough, Kluessendorf was firing on them.


As they huddled in bushes in the backyard, the officers hid behind bullet-resistant shields. Those shields might have saved their life:  Kluessendorf fired into the bushes four or five times with the shotgun, before switching to a .22-caliber rifle.

Even with the protective cover, the cops were in grave danger, according to the complaint:

[Washington County Sheriff's Deputy Shane] Linehan described the bullets being shot at him as being inches away from them as they hunkered down behind the bullet proof shield. He also noted that several bullets "whizzed" directly over their heads, firing directly at their position.

As he shot at them, Kluessendorf yelled, "I'm going to kill all you motherfuckers."

Police at first resisted shooting at Kluessendorf because his mother was in the doorway. Later, his mother brought the shotgun and rifle out of the house and threw them into the backyard.

Eventually, a Washington County SWAT team sniper brought the standoff to an end, hitting Kluessendorf with a shot that sent the shooter to Regions Hospital. Kluessendorf was still in the hospital as of Friday.

Kluessenedorf faces three counts of first-degree attempted murder of a police officer, and three counts of use of deadly force against a police officer.

Each count of first-degree attempted murder carries a maximum sentence of 20 years, and each count of use of deadly force has a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison and a $30,000 fine.