Add this to the joy of flying during the upcoming holidays: A new survey finds that Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport's performance ranks even worse nationally than it did last year.
The Daily Beast came up with the rankings this year and last based on:
- On-time departures and arrivals on regular days and holidays using Bureau of Transportation Statistics data.
- Average security wait times from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. via Flight Explorer.
- Stranded-on-the-tarmac nightmares.
- The number of incidents and accidents.
- JD Power and Associates data from 2009 on airport accessibility; baggage claim and check-in and baggage handling satisfaction.
MSP ranked 16th in the 28-airport field, down four places from last year.
- 2009 rank: 12th
- On-time departures 2010: 79%
- On-time arrivals 2010: 78%
- On-time holiday departures: 81%
- On-time holiday arrivals: 79%
- Average security wait time: 9 minutes
- Tarmac nightmares: 10th out of 27
- Safety: 16th out of 27
- Amenities: 2nd out of 27
The best performing airport? Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX). Its awesome on-time arrival and departure stats, even for the holidays, were no doubt aided by the fact that the airport's runways don't get shut down over epic blizzards, hurricanes and tornadoes.