MN State Fair set record number of visitors on last two days
Minnesotans came out to the fair in record numbers on Sunday and Monday, although it wasn't enough to make up for an overall decline in attendance compared to past years.
- Controversial crop art at the Minnesota State Fair: Who decides what's OK to display?
- Al Franken busted out the ol' U.S. map drawing trick at the State Fair today [VIDEO]
- MN Music on-a-Stick at the Minnesota State Fair, 8/30/13
Brienna Schuette, the fair spokeswoman, attributed the decline to heat and humidity. Seven of 12 days, she noted, were marked by extreme temps. The first Tuesday has a low turnout historically, but this one was lower than usual -- only 94,076 people showed up as the thermometer climbed.
The fair reported on its website that 1,731,162 people came through the gates in 2013 -- as opposed to 1,788,512 in 2012 -- and more than 400,000 of those visitors combined showed up on Sunday and Monday as temperatures cooled.
In all, Schuette said, this was the seventh best attended fair in its history.
Sales records from the 48 food vendors are still being compiled.
Later this fall, fair organizers are expected to announce plans for the renovation of the Heritage Square area and addition of a transit hub to the west end of the fairgrounds, both of which are meant to relieve traffic.
-- Email Jesse Marx at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter at @marxjesse
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- UnitedHealth is getting even richer on Obamacare
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
- The Top 10 T-shirts of the Minnesota State Fair
- Top 5 Hate Mails of the Week: With new & improved fecal insults!