Minnesota wolf hunt: Welcome to round two
The remainder from the first-season target carried over to the second.
The second leg of Minnesota's controversial wolf hunting season is underway, and after opening weekend, 18 kills have been registered -- far fewer than the 50 claimed on the early season opener, according to the Department of Natural Resources.
All told, hunters claimed 147 of a 200 quota during the early season, which ended Nov. 18. Though kills fell below the target, the DNR told us hunters were more successful than they projected based on similar hunts in other states.
The remainder from the early season carried over to the late, meaning the target will increase to 253 for trappers.
Of those killed so far, 10 have been claimed in the state's Northwest region, seven in the Northeast, and one in the East Central.
The second and final season will end Jan. 31. We'll continue to update on hunters' progress until then.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.