Minneapolis wakes to 12:30 a.m. fireworks show: Top tweets
Around 12:30 a.m. this morning, folks who wouldn't normally be awake at that time took to Twitter (sorry, Kevin) to express bewilderment over a post-Home Run Derby fireworks show that was part of the All-Star Game festivities.
Though the show was part of a Mill City Museum and Mill Ruins Park "invite-only VIP gala" that was discussed during at least one neighborhood meeting last month, it caught most Minneapolis residents by surprise. (In fairness, the fireworks were scheduled for 11:45 p.m., so it appears things were running late.)
We'll have to wait and see -- after all, the All-Star Game is tonight, and afterward, downtown Minneapolis bars will remain open until 4 a.m, so who knows what crazy things could happen. But in the meantime, here are the 10 best tweets we saw about the fireworks show.
10. Initially, there was widespread confusion:
Are those fireworks or something worse and why is the helicopter circling? #mpls-- Chris Steller (@chris_steller) July 15, 2014
9. In fact, some felt the need to point out that the City of Lakes wasn't under attack from Wisconsin or St. Paul or something:
Don't worry Minneapolis tweeps, guided missiles sound nothing like fireworks. You are not under attack at 12:30 AM. #ASG-- Kris Huson (@Vruno) July 15, 2014
8. Confusion eventually morphed into indignation:
North Minneapolis would have appreciated a heads-up about a mega 12:30am fireworks display. Enjoy those 911 calls!-- Tony Webster (@webster) July 15, 2014
6. Indignation led to demands for reparations:
(For the top five, click to page two.)
5. Most didn't enjoy the show:
After conducting an informal poll on twitter, I found 0% of mpls peeps in favor of those fireworks.-- Adam Johnson (@lobotlives) July 15, 2014
4. But the claim made in Johnson's tweet goes too far:
3. After all:
2. Some just tried to make the best out of unexpectedly being awake during the wee hours of a weekday morning:
now that ya'll are up from the fireworks, let's meet up for waffle fries-- & (@ampersandria) July 15, 2014
1. While others dug deep for constitutional justifications:
Guys, it's okay. MLB has a sincerely held belief regarding late-night fireworks.-- mæθju fɑstɹ̩ (@LetsGoMetricUSA) July 15, 2014
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.