There's still a huge mess in North Minneapolis in the wake of May's tornado, even after the big June 4 city-sponsored cleanup effort, and people still need help. So, this weekend, a coalition of volunteer groups is launching a relief drive called Super Saturday.
The umbrella group MplsTornado.info is looking for a small army of volunteers and supplies to help staff the event, including everything from pallets and trolleys to notepads and pens. Anyone who wants to donate first aid and meals is also welcome.[jump]
Check out their website for a list of the kinds of items the victims need. And please do not bring toys, furniture, clothes and appliances. Those will be collected at a later date.
This is an all-volunteer organization, doing good work as the neighborhood begins the long road to recovery, and it has generated huge interest and a lot of support. Besides its website, you can also follow their work on Facebook.
And don't forget, there's another big tornado benefit this weekend, too: Soul Asylum, Sounds of Blackness, Robert Robertson are a load of other local bands will be playing at the State Theater on Sunday night to raise money for the relief effort. [DETAILS]
More ways to donate:
- North Minneapolis Recovery Fund
- Northside Home Fund--Tornado Relief
- Red Cross of Minnesota
- Salvation Army of Minnesota and North Dakota
- Minneapolis tornado kills one person, rips up homes
- Twin Cities tornado damage 2011: Your photos
- Minneapolis tornado: Videos from the scene
- Pawlenty strangely silent on tornado damage to Minnesota
- Minneapolis tornado "exclusion zone" map and details
- Rybak declares disaster, City Council plans emergency meeting
- Xcel says 11,000 tornado victims still without power
- Rob MacIntyre, Raptor Resource Project director, ID'd as tornado victim
- How to help tornado victims in North Minneapolis
- Minneapolis City Council OKs disaster declaration
- Floyd David Whitfield named second tornado casualty
- Minneapolis tornado rated up to EF 2, winds reached 135 mph
- Minneapolis maps tornado's path