Minneapolis tornado killed one; Missouri twister killed 89
Storm chasers followed the monster tornado that ripped through Joplin.
We're stunned and saddened by the death, injuries and devastation left by the tornado that tore through North Minneapolis yesterday. But compared to the mayhem seen in the videos below from Joplin, Missouri, we dodged a bullet.
The twister there was part of the larger storm system that spawned the North Minneapolis, but in Joplin, at least 89 people died in the storm, which completely leveled something like a third of the entire city.
"You see pictures of World War II, the devastation and all that with the bombing. That's really what it looked like," Joplin High School Principal Kerry Sachetta told USA Today. "I couldn't even make out the side of the building. It was total devastation in my view. I just couldn't believe what I saw."
Here's the national weather map that shows the raqsh of violent weather that struck the Midwest yesterday:
More on the tornado:
- Minneapolis tornado kills one person, rips up homes
- Twin Cities tornado damage 2011: Your photos
- Minneapolis tornado: Videos from the scene
- Pawlenty strangely silent on tornado damage to Minnesota
- Minneapolis tornado "exclusion zone" map and details
- Rybak declares disaster, City Council plans emergency meeting
- Xcel says 11,000 tornado victims still without power
- Rob MacIntyre, Raptor Resource Project director, ID'd as tornado victim
- How to help tornado victims in North Minneapolis
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Sketchy Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill empire crumbles
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sun., Oct. 18, 12:00pm
Fri., Oct. 23, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
- Anti-abortion investigators' shocking revelation: U does research
- Top 5 Hate Mails of the Week: 'I can't believe Shitty Pages...'