Minneapolis police union president Bob Kroll says Jamar Clark, the 24-year-old man who was shot in the head by police over the weekend, was "actively resisting arrest" and that "no handcuffs were applied" when the fatal bullet struck.
"The shooting wasn't a misfire," he says. "It wasn't an accident. The officer intended to shoot this guy and the handcuffs were not on him at all."
The shooting ignited protests earlier this week after some witnesses said Clark was handcuffed when shot.
Kroll's version of the Sunday morning events on the North Side follows the same narrative put out by the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.
"The paramedics are dealing with a person that was injured, who either was the victim of an assault or was injured in the breaking up of an assault," says Kroll. "So the paramedics are dealing with that person in the rig when the suspect came to the rig and the paramedics called police for help. When the cops got there … a struggle ensued."
At the time, paramedics believed that Clark had assaulted the woman they were trying to help.
Clark was shot in the melee, according to Kroll, who adds, "I am very confident that it's going to be [determined] to be a justifiable shooting."
The Hennepin County medical examiner announced yesterday that a gunshot to the head killed Clark. BCA Superintendent Drew Evans has said there's no footage from officer body or police dash cameras. The BCA does have video from the ambulance, a stationed police camera in the area, a public housing authority camera and a witness cell phone. But Evans says nothing shows the entire event, and that investigators won't release it for fear it will taint the investigation. Mayor Betsy Hodges has asked federal officials to also investigate the shooting.
Clark’s family is scheduled to address reporters later today.
- Jamar Clark police shooting led to tense standoff with protesters [VIDEO]
- Jamar Clark taken off life support; dozens of Black Lives Matter protesters arrested
- Minneapolis police force Black Lives protesters to move off precinct
- Mark Ringgenberg, cop in Jamar Clark shooting, was sued for chokehold
- ACLU, NAACP file lawsuit to force release of Jamar Clark video