Minn. Navy medic electrocuted in Iraq, didn't die of natural causes
Just one month before Minnesota Navy medic David A. Cedergren, 25, was scheduled to come home from his tour in Iraq in 2004, he was found unconscious in an outdoor shower. He was pronounced dead shortly after and his family was told he died of natural causes.
The deaths are now part of a wider criminal investigation, part of a probe that's looking into a total of 18 electrocutions that have occurred in Iraq, in a variety of circumstances.
"Obviously it brings some closure to what we all originally thought had happened to David," said Cedergren's brother, Barry. "But the hard thing is you start to heal knowing one thing, and then the wounds reopen and you have to look at things in a different way."
The Associated Press reported Monday that late last year, the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology changed the cause of Cedergren's death to "accidental," caused by electrocution and inflammation of the heart.
Barry Cedergren of Ramsey said family members initially suspected that David had been electrocuted because, according to reports shown to the family, witnesses told investigators that some service members had reported suffering electrical shocks in the shower. "It showed that these guys were getting zapped, so it made us wonder," he said.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Slowly, Lake Calhoun is losing its weird tribute to Mr. Slavery
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
- Kitty Westin wants to save parents from having to bury a child
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner says toy hamster stole her name and her looks