Michele Bachmann wins Ames, Iowa straw poll
Michele Bachmann in the White House just got one step closer to reality.
Michele Bachmann won today's straw poll in Ames, Iowa, edging out Ron Paul by just 150 votes as well as former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty, who finished in third.
Bachmann's win grants her instant political legitimacy and positions her as a frontrunner in a crowded Republican field that today added another potential major contender in Rick Perry.
Many political observers thought that only one Minnesota candidate would survive Iowa. Tim Pawlenty's third place showing may spell the end of his quixotic campaign.
Here's the finishing order:
1. Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (4823, 28.55%)
2. Congressman Ron Paul (4671, 27.65%)
3. Governor Tim Pawlenty (2293, 13.57%)
4. Senator Rick Santorum (1657, 9.81%)
5. Herman Cain (1456, 8.62%)
6. Governor Rick Perry (718, 3.62%) write-in
7. Governor Mitt Romney (567, 3.36%)
10. Congressman Thad McCotter (35, 0.21%)
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Kitty Westin wants to save parents from having to bury a child
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner says toy hamster stole her name and her looks
- Metro Transit reviewing alleged beating of autistic teen Marcus Abrams