Michele Bachmann says federal law doesn't apply to pet bridge project
Rep. Michele Bachmann insists America is headed for socialism and bankruptcy because "porking" has gotten way out of control--unless, of course, you're talking about her pet bridge project to Wisconsin.
She's about to submit a bill that does an end run around federal law to secure $700 million for the St. Croix River Crossing Project near Stillwater.
The massive bridge that was originally planned by the the Minnesota Department of Transportation was shelved last year after the National Park Service ruled the proposed behemoth structure did not comply with the federal Wild and Scenic Rivers Act.
Last year she tried and failed to get the St. Croix cut from the act to make way for her bridge. But Bachmann, now part of the Republican majority in the U.S. House, figures the law doesn't apply to her bridge anyway. She's just going to cherry pick her facts: a previous Park Service decision supporting the bridge.
She also likes to cherry pick her outlook on the Obama administration's federal stimulus package, which she prefers to label "failed" unless she's pestering the U.S. Transportation Secretary for a stimulus earmark to help finance the bridge.
Few doubt that a new bridge is needed; conservationists would prefer something a little more modest in size and scope. But don't call this bringing home the pork, or an earmark. Bachmann only spends taxpayer dollars on desperately needed infrastructure projects.
More on Michele Bachmann and the bridge:
- Michele Bachmann: "Porking has gotten way out of control"
- Michele Bachmann was for the stimulus while she was against it
- Michele Bachmann wants St. Croix River cut from Wild and Scenic Rivers protection
More Michele Bachmann coverage:
- Michele Bachmann wants to be president
- Michele Bachmann looked into the wrong SOTU camera on purpose
- Meghan McCain calls Michele Bachmann "a poor man's Sarah Palin"
- Bill Clinton calls Michele Bachmann divorced from reality on healthcare
- Michele Bachmann flunks slavery history again
- Michele Bachmann vs. Michelle Obama in breastfeeding war
- Bachmann calls on Glenn Beck to solve the national debt crisis
- Michele Bachmann fights narcoterrorists
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.