Ron Carey is one of Rep. Michele Bachmann's former chiefs of staff. He's the former chairman of the Minnesota GOP.
Now, as Bachmann gets ready to deliver an important speech this morning to conservatives in Washington, D.C., he says that she isn't electable, and isn't qualified to be president.
How embarrassing. [jump]
Bill Clinton calls Michele Bachmann "divorced from reality" Bachmann has teased her tea party fans and the press for weeks now with a carefully orchestrated idea that she may throw her hat into the 2012 presidential election ring.
She's making trips to Iowa.
She did an end-run around GOP leaders and delivered her own State of the Union response.
And she's scheduled to deliver the keynote speech this morning at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, D.C.
Carey's lead-in has to sting. It's one thing for her to be mocked for ineptitude on Saturday Night Live, or to have a former Democratic president, Bill Clinton, use an international stage to denounce her as divorced from reality.
But Carey was an insider. Carey was the fifth chief of staff in four years on Bachmann's team. He took over in February 2010 from Michelle Marston, who helped engineer Bachman's anti-health-care-reform protest in Washington, D.C. That was the same rally where Sean Hannity was busted by Jon Stewart for a bogus video clip that vastly inflated the size of the crowd.
After Marston's departure, one GOP congressman told Politico that Bachmann couldn't hold on to staff because of her penchant for headlines and fact-challenged rhetoric.
"When your captain's crazy, it's time to find a new ship," the lawmaker said.
More Michele Bachmann Coverage:
- Michele Bachmann wants to be president
- CNN justifies airing Bachmann's SOTU speech
- Michele Bachmann looked into the wrong SOTU camera on purpose
- Michele Bachmann SOTU behind-the-scenes video
- Meghan McCain calls Michele Bachmann "a poor man's Sarah Palin"
- Michele Bachmann retreats from cutting war veterans' benefits
- Bachmann promotes video smear of Planned Parenthood
- Bill Clinton calls Michele Bachmann divorced from reality on healthcare
- Michele Bachmann misleads supporters about CDC abortion data
- Michele Bachmann flunks slavery history again