The post-election season is shaping up well for freshly re-elected Rep. Michele Bachmann.
She's already been named a "Most Embarrassing" member of Congress. Now she's been nominated -- again -- in the "Lie of the Year People's Choice Awards" by PolitiFact.
There were plenty of pants-on-fire Bachmann moments to pick from in 2010; she makes so many that she has her own special space on the the Pulitzer prize-winning website. But of them all, PolitiFact picked this recent hallucination for the finals:[jump]
"The president of the United States will be taking a trip over to India that is expected to cost the taxpayers $200 million a day."
Bachmann lost the "Lie of the Year" title to Sarah Palin last year. Her rant about socialized medicine proved to be no match for "death panels." And even though Mama Grizzly didn't make the final cut this year, the competition again looks pretty tough:
- ObamaCare is a "government takeover" of health care. -- Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio; Rep. C.W. Bill Young, R-Fla.; the Republican Party of Florida; Wisconsin Lt. Gov.-elect Rebecca Kleefisch; and others
- "Taliban Dan" Webster thinks wives should submit to their husbands. -- Rep. Alan Grayson, D-Fla.
- "The stimulus has not created one private sector job." -- Gov.-elect Rick Scott, R-Fla., and others
- "Ninety-four percent of small businesses will face higher taxes under the Democrats' plan." -- Rep. Randy Neugebauer, R-Texas, and others
- "Phoenix is the No. 2 kidnapping capital of the world." -- Rep. John McCain, R-Ariz., and others
- The ethics report "exonerates me." -- Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y.
- Republicans want to dismantle or privatize Social Security. -- Florida Democratic Party and other Democratic candidates
We think Bachmann has a legitimate title shot this year. The polls are open.