Michele Bachmann helpfully shows unemployment falling [PHOTO OF THE DAY]
Michele Bachmann used a lot of scary rhetoric about the economy to harangue President Barack Obama last night, blaming him for the tanked economy left behind by his predecessor.
So it's a little odd that she would go through the trouble to point out that, under Obama's watch, unemployment is indeed going down.
"Let me show you a chart," she said. "Just eight months after President Obama promised lower unemployment, that rate spiked to a staggering 10.1 percent. Today, unemployment it's at 9.4 percent with about 400,000 new claims every week."
Yes, George W. Bush left the economy heading for the worst shape since the Great Depression. Millions of people lost their jobs. And now things are turning around.
This is bad?
Unemployment is heading down. Michele Bachmann proved it.
- Michele Bachmann vs. Paul Ryan: The videos
- Michele Bachmann SOTU response transcript
- CNN justifies airing Bachmann's SOTU speech
- Bachmann flubs history of slavery and the Founding Fathers
- Bachmann plans her own State of the Union address
- Bachmann in Iowa to "set the table" for 2012
- Michele Bachmann wants to be president
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.