Michele Bachmann used a lot of scary rhetoric about the economy to harangue President Barack Obama last night, blaming him for the tanked economy left behind by his predecessor.
So it's a little odd that she would go through the trouble to point out that, under Obama's watch, unemployment is indeed going down.
"Let me show you a chart," she said. "Just eight months after President Obama promised lower unemployment, that rate spiked to a staggering 10.1 percent. Today, unemployment it's at 9.4 percent with about 400,000 new claims every week."[jump]
Yes, George W. Bush left the economy heading for the worst shape since the Great Depression. Millions of people lost their jobs. And now things are turning around.
This is bad?
- Michele Bachmann vs. Paul Ryan: The videos
- Michele Bachmann SOTU response transcript
- CNN justifies airing Bachmann's SOTU speech
- Bachmann flubs history of slavery and the Founding Fathers
- Bachmann plans her own State of the Union address
- Bachmann in Iowa to "set the table" for 2012
- Michele Bachmann wants to be president