Michele Bachmann gushed bunk about Obama oil drilling permits
"One. That's the number of new drilling permits under the Obama administration since they came into office," Rep. Michele Bachmann told the Conservative Principles PAC on March 26.
It was a great red meat line. It helped her steal the show from other Republicans preening for the attention of voters.
Alas, it was not true, as PolitiFact discovered when it checked in with the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement.
According to the report, 39 shallow-water permits for new wells have been issued since June 8, 2010, when new rules and information requirements were put into effect. Shallow water drilling operations were not affected by the deepwater drilling moratorium following the gulf oil spill. And there were lots more shallow-water well permits issued by the Obama administration prior to June 8, 2010. Remember, Bachmann's statement referred to permits issued "under the Obama administration since they came into office."
Her nonsense earned her a a full-on "pants on fire" award.
Here's Bachmann in Des Moines.
More Michele Bachmann coverage:
- Michele Bachmann for president: The website
- Michele Bachmann won't show her birth certificate
- Bachmann finds media double standard that doesn't exist
- Michele Bachmann flunks American Revolution history
- Michele Bachmann vs. Michelle Obama in breastfeeding war
- Michele Bachmann flunks slavery history
- Bachmann's health care funding conspiracy theory debunked
- Bachmann on Meet The Press: Barack Obama is anti-American
- Bachmann calls on Glenn Beck to solve the national debt crisis
- Bill Clinton calls Michele Bachmann divorced from reality on healthcare
- Michele Bachmann wants to be president
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Friendship comes at a price for the new Seward co-op
- Lake Elmo's beautiful greensward threatened by disuse and developers
- U of M student Rahsaan Mahadeo awarded, then arrested for his activism