Michele Bachmann for president: The website
Michele Bachmann's inescapable media-grandstanding has been a constant throughout her political career.
But if you've tracked her lately, you've probably noticed she's more omnipresent than ever, and you've heard the relentless drum of approaching thunder: Bachmann is thinking of running for president.
Well, think of this as the first visible flash of lightning from the coming storm: There is now a Draft Bachmann movement, and it has a website: www.weneedmichele.com.
The website is from the same people who just a few months ago were trying to get Bachmann to run for Speaker of the House. Having lost that battle, they're moving straight to the big dance.
The website is dominated by a picture of Bachmann radiating an unearthly milky glow and backed by a giant American flag.
"America has been through enough the past four years," the site proclaims.
"Under Barack Obama's watch, we endured a financial meltdown, a socialist takeover of our health care system, redistribution of wealth, record deficits, and massive unemployment. We cannot sit idly by and watch as our country and freedom are stolen from us. We cannot afford four more years of Obama's gangster government morally and financially bankrupting our country."
Socialism! Wealth redistribution! Gangster government! These guys are definitely talking Bachmann's language.
It's unclear how many people have signed the online petition to drag Bachmann reluctantly into the national spotlight of a presidential campaign. But Bachmann has never been one of those elites who tries to stand in the way of the will of the people.
With weneedmichele.com begging her to run, how can she refuse?
More Michele Bachmann coverage:
- Michele Bachmann won't show her birth certificate
- Bachmann finds media double standard that doesn't exist
- Michele Bachmann flunks American Revolution history
- Michele Bachmann vs. Michelle Obama in breastfeeding war
- Michele Bachmann flunks slavery history
- Bachmann's health care funding conspiracy theory debunked
- Bachmann on Meet The Press: Barack Obama is anti-American
- Bachmann calls on Glenn Beck to solve the national debt crisis
- Bill Clinton calls Michele Bachmann divorced from reality on healthcare
- Michele Bachmann wants to be president
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.