Michele Bachmann flunks slavery history again [VIDEO]
Bachmann forgets the slave trade.
Is it time for someone to tap Rep. Michele Bachmann on the shoulder and suggest that she stop talking about American history?
Last month in Iowa she insisted the Founding Fathers created a country in which race didn't matter, while ignoring the fact that they considered slaves to be just three-fifths human, and often owned slaves themselves.
Now it appears that Bachmann has managed to sweep American history clean of slavery altogether.
An abused slave from Louisiana in 1863. Not the kind of risk taker Bachmann wants to talk about.
CSPAN cameras caught her making this embarrassing historical omission at a "Tea Party Express Forum" held at the National Press Club yesterday:
"Other than Native Americans who were here, all of us have the same story. And our story is, we come from someone who was a risk-taker from their home country, doesn't matter what the country is, but they took a risk and they came here. And they knew when they came here they weren't coming for a welfare state. They were coming here for the thrill of writing their own ticket. Who did we attract? People that wanted a better life and were willing to do what it took to get it."
Here's what the sixth district congresswoman left out of her lecture: By 1860 there were 4 million slaves in the United States -- none of them living to the thrill of writing their own ticket. The better life they wanted was to escape their inhumane captivity in America. (Download the 1860 U.S. Census here.)
Watch The Video of Bachmann Flunking American History:
Previous Michele Bachmann Coverage:
- Michele Bachmann looked into the wrong SOTU camera on purpose
- Meghan McCain calls Michele Bachmann "a poor man's Sarah Palin"
- Michele Bachmann SOTU behind-the-scenes video
- Michele Bachmann vs. Paul Ryan: The videos
- CNN justifies airing Bachmann's SOTU speech
- Bachmann flunks history of slavery and the Founding Fathers
- Michele Bachmann wants to be president
- Bill Clinton calls Michele Bachmann divorced from reality on healthcare
- Bachmann promotes video smear of Planned Parenthood
- Michele Bachmann misleads supporters about CDC abortion data
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.