Michele Bachmann files presidential race paperwork
Bachmann is running for president.
Rep. Michele Bachmann used the Republican debate on CNN tonight to announce that she's filed official paperwork to run for White House in 2012.
That's the last official step any presidential candidate must take before officially jumping into the ring. But in the Bachmann told the TV audience she still expected to make an official declaration later this month.
Her announcement was part of a carefully orchestrated PR campaign. Besides announcing the news on CNN, she posted a video on YouTube, teased it through Facebook, launched a re-branded michelebachmann.com website now says "Bachmann for President," and kicked out an e-mail to supporters under the subject line, "I'm in."
All of this makes her promised announcement in Waterloo, Iowa, later this month an anticlimax. And it leaves the future of her congressional seat in the sixth district up in the air.
Here's the video announcement.
- More Insanity: shitbachmannsays.com
- Did Michele Bachmann just call Sarah Palin a bad mother?
- Bachmann's campaign chief: Sarah Palin's a lightweight quitter
- Team Pawlenty hammers "pain in the ass" Bachmann, Part 2
- Michele Bachmann prays for Bradlee Dean's homophobic ministry [AUDIO]
- Team Pawlenty fires shot at "pain in the ass" Bachmann
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- A terrible Minneapolis park deal just got $2 million worse
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- Why you should never run over a kid while flying a confederate flag
- Minnesota has eighth most expensive cigarettes