Michele Bachmann doubles down with birthers on GMA
Michele Bachmann can't bring herself to state a very simple fact: Barack Obama is an American citizen.
"That isn't for me to state. That's for the president to state," she said today on "Good Morning America."
That's pretty loud dog whistle from the queen of the tea party.
Obama's birth certificate is there for the whole world to see. His birth notice was published in the Hawaiian press. But Public Policy Polling has shown that 51 percent of GOP primary voters don't believe, contrary to the facts, that Obama is an American, and others say they aren't sure.
Bachmann could do us all a favor just simply say that Obama is an American citizen. But she won't, because birthers are a key GOP constituency these days.
Here's House Speaker John Boehner on ABC News, refusing to refute the birther conspiracy theories:
DAVID GREGORY: Do you not think it's your responsibility to stand up to that kind of ignorance?
JOHN BOEHNER: David, it's not my job to tell the American people what to think. Our job in Washington is to listen to the American people.
It's a familiar meme, as CNN's Anderson Cooper showed the other night in an interview with Montana state Rep. Bob Wagner, a birther backing a state bill that would require political candidates to prove their citizenship.
Cooper asked Wagner if he believes Obama is a citizen of the United States:
"Well, I don't really -- I'm not really qualified to say whether I believe he is or not," he said. "It's irrelevant to me. There's been no proof offered, and as far as belief, it doesn't matter what I believe."
What he believes is is pretty bizarre: The 14th Amendment, which establishes birthright citizenship, isn't the law of the land. Watch:
More Michele Bachmann Coverage:
- Michele Bachmann wants to be president
- CNN justifies airing Bachmann's SOTU speech
- Michele Bachmann looked into the wrong SOTU camera on purpose
- Meghan McCain calls Michele Bachmann "a poor man's Sarah Palin"
- Bill Clinton calls Michele Bachmann divorced from reality on healthcare
- Michele Bachmann flunks slavery history again
- Michele Bachmann vs. Michelle Obama in breastfeeding war
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- A terrible Minneapolis park deal just got $2 million worse
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- Why you should never run over a kid while flying a confederate flag
- Minnesota has eighth most expensive cigarettes