Michele Bachmann co-sponsors English-only bill
Bachmann has co-sponsored a bill from Iowa Rep. Steve King, "To declare English as the official language of the United States, to establish a uniform English language rule for naturalization, and to avoid misconstructions of the English language texts of the laws of the United States."
The bill recognizes the country's diverse ethnic, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds, but asserts that English must be their common bond. (Note: Like it is and always has been.) All official government business must henceforth then be conducted in English. Without such action, the authors suggest, there's less hope of immigrants becoming real Americans.
Good thing Bachmann wasn't around when all those Scandinavians migrated to Minnesota. She would have been appalled at the way government coddled them -- in their native tongues -- to get to the polls and take part in their adopted country's democracy.
Minnesota voting instructions in Norwegian.
Minnesota voting instructions in Swedish.
Without English-only laws, these migrants turned out just fine, just as generations of immigrants have since then.
More Michele Bachmann coverage:
- Michele Bachmann won't show her birth certificate
- Bachmann finds media double standard that doesn't exist
- Michele Bachmann flunks American Revolution history
- Michele Bachmann vs. Michelle Obama in breastfeeding war
- Michele Bachmann flunks slavery history
- Bachmann's health care funding conspiracy theory debunked
- Bachmann on Meet The Press: Barack Obama is anti-American
- Bachmann calls on Glenn Beck to solve the national debt crisis
- Bill Clinton calls Michele Bachmann divorced from reality on healthcare
- Michele Bachmann wants to be president
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Rising rents putting the hurt on Twin Cities working folks
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- What does Black Lives Matter want from the Minnesota Fair?
- The dentist lion killer Halloween costume is here