Metrodome roof collapses after blizzard [UPDATE]
The Metrodome is missing its bubble.
The roof of the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome has collapsed under the weight of the blizzard that hammered Minneapolis yesterday.
In place of a plaza and surrounding parking fields that should have been filled with pre-game hub bub, there's just blowing snow and gawking motorists.
The Vikings game against the New York Giants had already been postponed to Monday after a flight carrying the Giants was diverted to Kansas City. After some uncertainy this morning, the Vikings say the game will be played at Ford Field in Detroit on Monday night, and will be broadcast in the New York City, Minneapolis, Rochester and Mankato, Minnesota markets. The game will also be available to Sunday Ticket subscribers on DirecTV.
The 10-acre roof is flattened.
The roof is made of a Teflon-coated fabric held in place by air pressure. If the fabric tears or breaks, the air pressure is lost and the bubble deflates.
Snow begins to fall inside the dome.
That appears to be what happened this time; two of the Teflon segments tore. Heavy snow also caused the Metrodome bubble to deflate in 1981, 1982 and 1983.
We'll be updating this page. Check back for more.
- Metrodome collapse forces Vikings and Giants to Detroit
- Metrodome collapse: Video from inside the stadium
- Metrodome collapse: Video shows roof failure frame-by-frame
- Metrodome collapse: Somebody (or thing) escaped as roof fell
- Blizzard Biffy: Photo of the Day
- Blizzard snow totals in the Twin Cities
- Blizzard socks the Twin Cities: Photos and video
- Twin Cities Blizzard 12/11/10: Your pictures
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Sketchy Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill empire crumbles
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sun., Oct. 18, 12:00pm
Fri., Oct. 23, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
- Anti-abortion investigators' shocking revelation: U does research
- Top 5 Hate Mails of the Week: 'I can't believe Shitty Pages...'